Monday, October 23, 2006

Last rose of summer

This gorgeous tea rose is making a last stand before it just gets too cold for any more buds to form. Called Wild Blue Yonder, the rose is really raspberry colored, not the strong pink it appears to be on my screen. And it has a strong, delicious, spicy rose scent.

Other last stands around the neighborhood include the laggard monarch butterfly hiding in the middle of this lush border, at Louise Little's on North Street. He should have gone south several weeks ago.

Finally I just noticed the Green Man guarding this gate entrance at 31 North. The Green Man is the traditional, pre-Christian deity of growing things and the forest in Britain. Not a late flower, but certainly a reminder throughout the winter that April is just 6 months away.

1 Comments:

Blogger KayInMaine said...

Hi Nini, I'm on AMERICAblog all the time and just noticed that you had a blog, so I thought I would come by and take a peek. Beautiful flowers/plants you're growing there on Munjoy Hill. I've lived in Maine my whole 38 years and know the Cumberland Fair well since it's my hometown.

Have fun blogging! It's my life if you hadn't noticed, well, at least for now until Bush & Cheney and the rest of idiots are gone. :-)

Take care.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home